[DeTomaso] Tips on Resetting Ride Height

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 16:03:45 EDT 2010

IMHO, trying to calculate needed spring height is mostly a waste of time-
even if its just a starting point. Many if not most 40-year-old Panteras have
distorted suspension pickup points so the loads on the corners are NOT
equal side to side and especially end to end. If they were perfect, there would
be no reason to corner-weight our cars with scales for better handing. So
expect all 4 shocks to have different spring heights. Adjusting to a
wheel-to-fender clearance is also a waste of time for the same reason, unless a
precise fender gap side to side is more important than handling.
Write down the number of exposed threads on each shock for each adjustment
so you don't inadvertently un-adjust when making further changes. I had 7
pages of adjustment notes in my set up.
If you run gas shocks (I don't think Aldans are), there are two different
types- low pressure and high pressure- and the high pressure type adds
noticibly to the final spring rate. My high pressure gas-Konis add over 40 lbs of
spring load just from the 350psi internal gas pressure. The gas is there to
reduce foaming and thus changing shock rate under hard use.
Buy a proper shock collar spanner. Using a phillips screwdriver or a dowel
pin- especially with a hammer- to help turn the collars tears up the
adjusting holes. Removing the wheel you are adjusting makes turning the collar
easier but slows down completion. There will likely be positions in which the
turning spanner interferes with other parts but don't give in to using
brutality. If necessary, unbolt one end of the shock so you can use the proper
turning tool.
Don't try to make things easier by oiling or greasing the adjusting
collars; they become dirt-magnets and make a mess- as I found out. There are ball
bearing support washers sold to make the adjustment easier and these also
should run without lube or the dirt they attract acts as a grinding compound.
Finally, when you're satisfied, don't forget to lock the adjusting collars
with the provided setscrews or jam-nuts- and don't forget to loosen them
when making further adjustments.
Finally, once you're done, the wheels will likely need realigning. Good
luck, all- J DeRyke