[DeTomaso] Rookies & Pantera electrics

Cullen McCann clarkwgriswold2nd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 15:56:06 EDT 2010

Ok....not saying that I have a strong opinion on Pantera electrical systems
at this point...but if I understand what is being said on this topic it
sounds like basically this:

Pantera electrical systems appear to perform better or more reliably with
bi-annual maintenance, possible troubleshooting, rare parts sourcing,
creative solutions, non original fuse styles retrofitted into the
system....relays added to the fuse box to improve other subsystems, they
also appear to have inconsistent diagram and technical support, varying
between multiple years.....but all at the same time they work fine and there
is no reason to change them.

I have an American muscle car that I built with my dad when I was 15.
...that was ...uhh....19 years ago....I ran the factory wiring for the first
10 years or so, and installed a painless wiring harness in 2001. I remember
because it was the summer of my last year of college....so that was 9,
almost 10 years ago.... and I haven't even replaced a single fuse in
it...much less had to troubleshoot it or modify it. I drive it about 3000
miles per year, and it operates as reliably as a Honda Civic...( or pick a
very reliable car of ones choice). It was very easy to install and I have a
very average knowledge of automobile electrical systems...and I had to
terminate my own ends and determine my own routing and everything due to the
fact that I wanted to hide the wires for aesthetics.

I think granted it's not for the purist....but I'm not one...haven't heard
of many pantera owners who are purists, only a couple now...at least
compared to many other collectable cars....( my sunbeam friends are crazy
picky about this stuff) ....and all the talk here about how to make the
factory wiring reliable and functional...seems....daunting compared to the
400 bucks I spent on a 13 circuit universal painless kit 9 years
ago....installed it in a weekend and been jamming to the stereo ever since..

Granted there is probably nothing universal about a pantera...but
still...the tech support at painless is pretty good....

Hmmmmm...something to think about....

Cullen
(trying to contribute something  ;)

Good news is my wiring on 3925 isn't rusty...so I could always go that
route...if you guys manage to sell me on it...not looking good.    =^)