[DeTomaso] Torque question

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Aug 24 14:16:12 EDT 2010

Quoting:

> Quoting a torque setting of 75 ft/lb and then saying go 100 ft/lb is
>  a little ludicrous, this is not a situation where you want to go
> that bit extra for 'safety'.

Sounds like a lame way to indicate they aren't even using a torque
wrench for final torque.  Here is what I have observed on several
occasions at the tire shop:

They zip the lug nuts on with an air wrench.  They then follow behind
with a torque wrench... but nothing ever turns.  i.e. the nuts are
already torqued to the value set on the torque wrench and in fact are
most likely way overtorqued.  But their "torque wrench pass by hand"
validates they are torqued (at least) to the value they have set on
their torque wrench.

It bugs the crap out of me every time I see them do this.

Asa Jay