[DeTomaso] Fw: Rookie needs help...

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 07:23:42 EDT 2010

Well Peter, see what happens here when you ask a "charged" question! More
help than you need or can stand.  All great people, all A type
personalities, all in love with their Panteras.  You wont find another forum
like this one
Keep coming back and sharing your experiences, good and bad.  Michael Shortt

On Aug 24, 2010 6:25 AM, "B Hower" <b.hower3400 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Welcome aboard. First of all I don't claim to be a Pantera wiring expert.
And there has been some good advice given you already, if you check out
available information -- and do a little reading between the lines. But as a
retired industrial electrician, who in the past work environment has been
asked to just add this group of extra functions to a machine( possibly a
whole new section to a piece of equipment ). Oh it shouldn't take more than
8 hrs.-- just make machine B add on like the one they did on machine A. The
print is in machine B cabinet. But what management failed to realize was
that the master part of machine  A and machine B are not wired the same.
Thus the add on can not be wired the same. The point I'm trying to make is
that I want to know what I have before I try to upgrade. I would try to find
the actual faults prior to an upgrade.

> IMHO
> Bud #3400
>

> --- On Tue, 8/24/10, peterdemayo at comcast.net <peterdemayo at comcast.net>
wrote:

> From: peterdemayo at comcast.net <peterdemayo at comcast.net>
> Subject: [DeTomaso] Rookie needs help...
> To: detomaso at realbig.com
> Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 12:44 AM
>

> Hello, my name is Peter DeMayo and a recent owner of a restored 1972
Pantera. Some of you may know of the car, it was recently owned and restored
by one of your members, Ed Kole of Pennsylvania.
> Anyway, I truly appreciate any help that can be given, as I am pulling out
my hair. Both of my radiator fans are not working, nor is the fan light in
the speedometer coming on. At the same time, my instrument lights (temp,
amp, speedo, fuel, etc.) are all out, except the Tach; that lights up fine.
All gauges and meters work, just the illumination lights are out. Question
#1- Is my problem w/the fans linked in any way to the problem I am having w/
the instrument lights? Question #2- What could possibly be wrong, whether
the problems are linked or not? Note: I have checked the main fuse box, and
the small fuse box (houses 2 fuses) to the left of the main fuse box. All
the respective fuses to my problem look fine. However, fuse #3 which none of
these systems should be on, keeps blowing. And it only blows when I start
the car
> Other notes:
> ·         Thermostat seems to be working fine.
> ·         My fans are set up that one always runs and the other kicks on
around 185° (I might be off on the exact temp)
> ·         Original Fuse Box
> ·         I have checked all connections and they seem fine.
> ·         There have been no recent changes to the car’s wiring and it has
not had this problem since restoration that has been well over a year.
> ·         Right before this happened I had a coolant hose split open while
driving. It was the hose that connects one of the long steel coolant tubes
to the metal pipe (crazy bend) that goes to the main pressure tank. Lost all
coolant and temp spiked. Nonetheless, I didn’t overheat. Possibly that
killed the fans, but both at once seems hard to believe.
> Sorry to leave a “book” for everyone, I just figured I would be thorough
since I am new to this. Thanks so much for your help!