[DeTomaso] Rookie needs help...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 23:33:25 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/23/10 19 59 30, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> The Pantera fuse box has sucked since the day it came out.
>
>>>Says who?   Upon what huge wealth of experience are you basing this
statement?

> > Mike is right though if you have one in working order they are fine,
> the only problem is you will never find one in Good working order.
>
>>>Come on over.   The one in my car is absolutely perfect.   Admittedly
I've performed the "Moseley relay kit modification" and have moved the fan
power sources to their own aux fusebox.   But the stock fusebox is otherwise
perfectly good and has been working fine for years.   In fact, it's only when
people start hacking and whacking the electrical system, adding additional
high-draw accessories (like third radiator fans etc.) that the fusebox
becomes overwhelmed.   But that's not down to a design flaw in the fusebox, that's
down to owner buffoonary.

There are over a hundred Panteras in PCNC.   Only a handful are running on
anything other than the stock fusebox, and none of them have any systemic
electrical problems.   So your statement is patently false.

> > I never said investing in some 21st century technology would solve your
> present problem  but it will or would make your Pantera allot more
> reliable and help save your sanity.
>
>>>If there's nothing wrong with your stock components, switching to new
ones will have zero effect on relability.

> Ask how many people on the list use John Hass's products (Those that
> actually drive their cars).
>
>>>Like I said before, there is absolutely no question that John makes some
spectacularly good products.   I am filled with admiration for the
engineering excellence contained therein.   It's not necessary by any stretch of the
imagination, but that doesn't mean that it's not excellent just the same.
It's just excellence for its own sake, rather than excellence in the
pursuit of a genuine improvement.

Now, if your car has suffered some electrical insult at your own hands or
the hands of a previous owner, then it's possible that your stock fusebox has
been sizzled.   I have seen a few toasted fuseboxes, normally with fuse
holders 11/12 overheated and burned, again, because people added multiple fans
to the circuits and seriously overloaded the stock wiring, which wasn't
built to take the additional draw.   Owner buffoonary, in other words.

*IF* that is the case, then it makes perfect sense to replace it with one
of John's wonders.   Chances are it costs the same or less than a replacement
factory fusebox, and it has a number of advantages.   This simply can't be
denied.

> >Some people believe you should leave your 40 year old Pantera exactly
> they way it was when it first came out.
>
>>>I'm sure not one of them--my car is extensively modified in virtually
every system, although I took great pains to keep it stock-looking.

> >That's fine if you just want a car for your collection. These are the
> same people who believe fixing the space shuttle when it blew up was a
> mistake because the new  improved model wasn't stock. If you want a car that will
> get you stuck half the time you drive it leave it exactly the way it came
> from the factory.
>
>>>Particularly with the later cars, if the owners leave them alone, they
are perfectly reliable as they came from the factory.   Normally it's the
owner modifications that introduce electrical faults--install super-duper
Halogen headlights, sizzle the headlight switch.   Install monster radiator fans,
sizzle the fusebox.   If you're going to modify your car electrically, be
sure to do it right.   And if you don't do it right, don't blame the car when
it sputters to a stop or bursts into flame.

(I should add as an aside that when I bought my car, the previous owner was
a real putz, and he had totally hacked the hell out of my electrical
system, performing all of the above sins, and more.   My car therefore had all
sorts of electrical problems, including multiple no-kidding electrical fires,
until I replaced the entire wiring harness with a STOCK 1974 harness, and the
fusebox with a STOCK 1974 fusebox, and then wired up everything as it had
been wired from the factory.   Subsequent to this, I upgraded the fan and
headlight circuits to accomodate my higher-power lights and fans, and in 15
years since I have never suffered even a hint of an electrical problem).

> Don't even change the oil "It wouldn't be original!"
>
>>>You can never go wrong switching to John's stuff.   But if your car is
broken right now, odds are that the switch to his stuff won't fix it--it will
just lighten your wallet and complicate the repair procedure even further.

Fix what you've got, and once it's working perfectly, then switch to the
megabuck blinkylight stuff if you want to.   You won't hurt anything by doing
so, other than your bank balance. :>)