[DeTomaso] Rookie needs help...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 21:55:42 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/23/10 17 45 0, peterdemayo at comcast.net writes:

> Sorry to leave a “book” for everyone, I just figured I would be thorough
> since I am new to this.

No apologies necessary!   The more information you provide up-front, the
easier it will be for people to offer reasonable assistance, and that's what
we're all about!   So more detail is always good.

Others will undoubtedly suggest that the only way forward is to trash your
whole system and buy a zillion dollars worth of high-tech megabuck
replacement components (new fuse box, fan controllers etc.).   While those products
are really quite excellent, they aren't normally necessary.   The stock
components (fuse box and relays), in proper working order, work absolutely fine.
 And replacing your fusebox won't do a thing to fix your problem, if your
problem lies elsewhere.   So it's important to troubleshoot and fix the
problem accurately before you start throwing money around.

You say you have a '72 Pantera; according to the wiring diagrams, the
various schemes changed after #2292.   Which do you have?   If it's before then,
then you really have a "1971" Pantera.

On the '72 and later wiring diagrams, fuse #3 powers the instrument
illumination rheostat, which in turn will power the instrument lights.   You say
your car keeps blowing this fuse, which in turn would result in the loss of
these lights (among other things).   If you install a fresh fuse, turn on the
key but don't start the engine, and activate the headlight switch to either
position, do all your lights work?

I can't tell you why starting the car would cause #3 fuse to blow.

I don't think your fan problem is related to your #3 fuse problem, but who
knows?   It's possible that somebody hacked up the wiring on your car,
leaving you with a real mess to sort out.

I'd start by going to www.panteraplace.com, going to the technical section,
and downloading and printing all of Bill Taylor's excellent wiring
diagrams.   As Bill used his own car (an L-model) as the blueprint for these
diagrams, there may be minor differences to your car, particularly if it's an early
'72.   For instance, '71 and the early '72 cars powered both fans off a
single fuse (#12).   The later Pre-L cars powered the fans off fuse #11, and
then the L-models used both fuses #11 and 12.

After that, it's down to a troublesome slog of troubleshooting, chasing
wires etc.   Remove any indication of BS splices, hacks etc. and try to restore
the car to the stock configuration, and then proceed from there.

At the risk of asking the obvious, do you have the appropriate wiring
diagram for your car?   They're available from Asa Jay at the POCA club store.
They are available in a digital format, but I find the digital diagrams
rather useless, because they lack the necessary resolution.   Old-school paper
is the way to go, I think. :>)

Good luck, and please keep us posted.   As you learn more and share it with
us, undoubtedly the guys with electrical smarts (which most emphatically
does not include me!) should be able to get you sorted out.

Welcome aboard! :>)