[DeTomaso] Wheel Question

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Mon Aug 23 13:46:17 EDT 2010

This is difficult to answer. If I was going to put "narrow" Campies, either
8" all around or 7"+8", on my car for a show I'd go with tire sizes similar
to stock i.e. 185/70 front and 225/70 rear. That'd give you the right stance
when viewed from the side. The rears in particular would look skinny from
behind though. I'm sure the car would ride pretty well on them on the street
and not tramline as much as with wider wheels and tires. From a performance
point of view: Asa Jay recently put 225/50 front and 235/50 rear tires on
his car. That surely looks weird from the side but sidewall stiffness is
greatly improved. I know that people have gone as far as 305/50 on 8" wheels
but whether that looks or works good I can't say. It sure goes against
common recommendations regarding the relation between rim and tire width.

Tomas