[DeTomaso] speaking of wheels falling off---

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 00:23:22 EDT 2010

So Will and Mike both saw the same show but apparently came away with
different interpretations. Combining the speeds of car A and car b is
simplifying the physics involved for the measurement of energy which is
E=Mass x velocity so if both  cars had the same mass their speeds would be
combined so the statement that I made was essentially correct although
simplified. If one vehicle has substantially greater mass then the other
(like a car hitting a train head on) The car is obliterated and the train
is barely  slowed down. But if two identical masses hit head on and both are
traveling at 60 mph and they are in a vacuum the energy of the impact will
be the equivalent of the energy of one vehicle of double the mass traveling
at 120 mph and hitting a fixed immovable object
In either case I wouldn't want to be in any of the vehicles!  And getting
hit by a wheel and tire coming at you head on at 60 mph would suck. If you
were also traveling in the opposite direction towards the tire and you were
traveling at 60 mph it would suck just as much!

Boyd