[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster Warning!! way too long!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 15:25:34 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/22/10 10:11:53 AM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I remember reading a post recently about the mistaken misapplication of
> 10.9 when it should have been 8.8 ( I don't remember what the application
> was) but I seem to remember that the 10.9 was good for tensile strength but
> not shearing resistance do I remember it correctly?)

Yes. Both are European heat-treat grades so are not exactly comparable, but
rule of thumb says 8.8 is roughtly SAE gr-5, and 10.9 is roughly SAE gr-8.
I would suggest gr-5 for wheel lugs in spite of the Pantera and Porsche both
apparently using harder material.
May I say your attitude is refreshing in this day of sueing your
grandparents for causing you an unhappy childhood.... Good luck with your Pantera- J
Deryke