[DeTomaso] gas tank insulation

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 15:20:46 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/22/10 6 54 0, threemacs at aol.com writes:

> I have a 74 Pantera under restoration, I would like to know what is the
> best way to insulate the shroud around the gas tank?

It comes from the factory with an asbestos-based covering.   Unfortunately,
when my car was restored, the fellow doing the work didn't realize that the
polished stainless steel gas tank shield *cover* was supposed to go over
the stock piece; instead he just threw the stock one away.   Mine therefore
wasn't as well-suited to its job of insulating the tank from heat, plus it
drummed and vibrated in an annoying manner.

I got some of this stuff:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3msounddamping.php

It was very easy to apply, and very lightweight.   It appears to have done
the job quite well, because my drumming/vibrating problem is gone--having
said that, I think it's gone mostly because this material was thick enough
that it's pressed up solid against both the side of the tank and the inner
surface of the shield.   As my tank is a '71 tank (aluminum wrapped in
fiberglass) I'm not worried so much about corrosion etc.

YMMV...