[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 14:03:53 EDT 2010

Dave and Julian,
Both of you gave excellent advice and made relevant points.
Since  I have been thinking about this and working on it since Thursday
(when it happened) I have had the opportunity to give it allot of thought
and I have already implemented most if not all of your suggestions.

   1. I wrote to the wheel manufacturer and asked what type of lug nuts I
   should be using (conical tapered 60 degree?, Ball radius, Flat, if flat with
   washers and what size?
   2. Are my wheels hub centric? If not is there an adapter made to make
   them hub centric?
   3. Does the wheel mounting surface require any prep before mounting? ( I
   had read some where that some wheels require a silicon application to the
   mounting surface 24 hours before being mounted)
   4. I asked them for the recommended torque specs.
   5. I asked  German Auto/ SACO to include the specs of the studs with the
   new hubs, and to include the recommended lug nuts and thread engagement
   required. (I don't think they  stock because they are part of this custom
   fabrication but I am not assuming anything from this point on)
   6. I asked German for *Their torque specs in case there is a
difference*between the wheel mfg specs and the hub riser mfg specs.

Since I will be reassembling my car at home this time and not 45 miles away
from home ( it is actually allot more significant then 45 miles. My car club
and the alignment shop are in Port Chester NY and I am on long Island. . So
we are separated by the Long Island sound. It may as well be 300 miles away
. The area is virtually unknown to me. When I get my car back together I
will be able to road test it in my neck of the woods and I have a shop that
does work on exotics (they also charge exotic prices) They used to do the
work on my 911 ( they do all the high end sports cars for the Dr.'s from the
local hospital) I will bring the car to them and have them check everything
out. The alignment did not do a tire run out which I think might have
spotted what ever anomaly caused this catastrophic failure. In any event I
am going to do everything I can to make sure that every nut and bolt are
torqued to spec and that everything else checks out before this car travels
more then a mile and  be sure that every thing is double checked by a
qualified mechanic before this car goes over 15 mph! I will follow the old
"Fool me once" adage as guidance. Thanks again to both of you for your well
thought out advice.
Boyd