[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 00:54:58 EDT 2010

Most of these parts have been on a car for almost 2 years with no problems, including driving from Santa Maria to Reno last year.  The failure described by Boyd appears to have had nothing to do with the billet carrier, CV half shafts, etc.  It appears that either the wheel studs were defective, or they were damaged.  The hub and bearing assemblies were off the shelf parts and the shop that put all this together makes similar parts for off road race vehicles, and if anything, the parts are over designed.

Mike, if you are skeptical, can you please provide more than your unsupported criticism, and the carriers were not designed by "whittling away" at some aluminum.  They were designed by someone with decades of real racing experience from the Baja 1000 to Bonneville who has forgotten more than most of us will every know about making tough suspension parts.  I would agree that the carriers could probably be optimized to a lighter weight, but from all indications, they are much stronger than necessary.  If anything, the failure that Boyd experienced shows the carriers and the hub and bearing assemblies (other than the studs) held up to an overstress condition when the wheel was starting to thrash around.

The big advantage with these parts is that Boyd will have a new hub and bearing assembly next week that he can bolt on.  And, these are the parts on virtually all cars made in the past 20 years.

Ken