[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 20:45:15 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/21/10 17 33 22, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I am not an engineer but I don't think Mike  knows enough about this
> design to draw any factual conclusions about it being inferior or superior to
> the original design
>
>>>Quite true.   I was going solely on gut instinct.   From your
description you made it sound like the whole hub assembly fell apart, not just broken
studs.   Yes, failing to tighten the lug nuts would easily result in broken
studs, although (having been there done that myself, failing to tighten lug
nuts on the front of my Mustang once), vibration would normally make itself
known long before failure.

> > and there is no conclusive evidence that this incident was the result
> of a design flaw. I believe it is allot more likely that the failure was the
> result of some human error in the assembly ( like lug nuts not being
> tightened)
>
>>>I assumed design flaw because you originally asserted that the lug nuts
were tight.   Now that we know the full story, I fully agree with your
assessment of the situation.   The fact that the wheels were switched
side-to-side and you have witnesses to that effect gives you, I would think, a very
strong legal case.   Before pursuing litigation, I think a strongly worded
conversation with the owner of the shop that is responsible might prove
fruitful.

> >When the replacement parts come I will reassemble the car and go over
> everything with a fine tooth comb.
>
>>>Amen--and again, I'm really happy that this turned out as well as it did
for you!