[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 20:33:21 EDT 2010

The studs were (are 12mm x 1.5) the other side as well as the two front
wheels are perfect. . The alignment was done on a late model hunter machine
that uses a computer and lasers and gives a before and after print out and
the alignment specs were close to perfect.
My inclination is toward  untightened lug nuts. . The alignment tech asked
me for the lug nut lock key when I dropped off the car. according to Hunters
web sight there is a "wheels off" alignment that is sometimes done. The
alignment tech said he put shims in to align the back wheels. The final
straw is that I have directional wheels. On Saturday when I bled the brakes
(i had two people helping me) I noticed when I put the first rear wheel on
that I put the right wheel on the left side. I noticed it and mentioned it
to my friends (helpers) and switched the wheel to the correct side. My two
friends clearly remember this episode too. When I took my car off the tow
truck the wheel that was bad was the left rear and it had the right side
tire on it. So someone at the alignment shop appears to be covering their
ass. I have know way of proving it. I wasn't present when they did the
alignment. The shop is very popular and has a wait to get in. Since it is 45
miles from my house I dropped the car off their on Wednesday and picked it
up an Thursday afternoon. So I think some one screwed up and didn't tighten
the lug nuts properly. I don't think their is any thing wrong with the
design in fact I think is is superior to the stock design. the bearings are
better. The axles are stronger, the cv joints are mechanically  superior to
half shafts. The process to access the rear wheel bearings is simpler the
removing the rear bearings on the stock risers and does not require a press.
Another improvement this design has over the stock design is that a failure
of a half shaft ( which is non existent in this design ) but the failure of
a CV joint will not result in the loss of a wheel. You can completely remove
the CV joint and the wheel will remain in place. I am not an engineer but I
don't think Mike  knows enough about this design to draw any factual
conclusions about it being inferior or superior to the original design and
there is no conclusive evidence that this incident was the result of a
design flaw. I believe it is allot more likely that the failure was the
result of some human error in the assembly ( like lug nuts not being
tightened) When the replacement parts come I will reassemble the car and go
over everything with a fine tooth comb.
Boyd