[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 19:15:56 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/21/10 15 56 52, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> The alignment tech claims he did not take the wheels off so I
> have no way of knowing  what the cause was.  If anyone has any suggestions
> would be interested in hearing  any theories.

How about dramatically underengineered and wholly unnecessary replacements
for perfectly good stock parts?   I would never, ever take a chance with
ever running those new hubs assemblies even before this episode, but now?   One
would have to be suicidal to do so, I think.   Read what you wrote:

" I could have been killed or the wheel could have come
completely off and the damage could easily have been well into the
thousands
of dollars."

I have been very skeptical about this whole project from the start; when I
looked at the parts, they seemed pretty, but there doesn't seem to be any
true science behind them.   To me, it looks like somebody just started with a
bunch of material and started whittling until the pieces that were left
resembled Pantera parts.

Now, I can't honestly claim that I know the level of engineering analysis
that went into the design of the stock components, and I will admit that the
stock axles leave a bit to be desired, in the long run.   But there's no
question that the stock components are superior, by orders of magnitude, to the
home-made, cobbled-up affair that nearly killed you today.

Curious--what does the other side look like at the moment?

Mike (SO glad you learned your lesson the (relatively) easy way!)