[DeTomaso] lug nut question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 22:34:14 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/20/10 19 03 1, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> What is the stock size lug nut on a 73 PANTERA. iF YOU ARE INSTALLING
> OVER
> SIZE WHEELS WHAT LENGTH STUDS SHOULD YOU USE AND HOW MUCH LENGTH SHOULD BE
> COVERED BY THE LUG NUT?? ALSO WHAT IS THE CORRECT TORQUE FOR LUG NUTS AND
> HOW OFTEN SHOULD THEY BE CHECKED?
>

>>>WHAT?   I CAN'T HEAR YOU!   YOU NEED TO TYPE LOUDER!!!!!!!! :>)

Okay.   Stock studs are M12.   As to the length of the stud required, that
has nothing to do with the diameter of the wheel, but rather the thickness
of the center.   The standard rule of thumb is that you want as least as much
thread engagement as the diameter of the fastener; in this case, a 12mm
stud wants 12mm of thread engagement at least.   If your new wheels aren't any
thicker than your old ones, you're in great shape.

You don't want to over-torque them, but neither do you want your wheels
falling off.   75-80 ft/lbs is a good rule of thumb.   You should check them
every time you install the wheel on the car. :>)

When you torque a fastener, you're actually stretching it.   If you're
going to compulsively check it, first you must LOOSEN the fastener slightly,
then bring it back up to the appropriate value.   If you torque it to the right
value, then just retorque it, then retorque it again, each time you're
making it tighter and tighter, stretching the fastener more and more, until
finally it fails.

I remember many years ago, there was a douchebag Ferrari guy at a track
event at Laguna Seca, prancing around in his Ferrari logo driving shoes and
Ferrari logo driving pants and Ferrari logo driving shirt and Ferrari logo
driver's gloves and Ferrari logo hat, and of course his helmet had a bunch of
Ferrari logos on it as well.   He made a big, big show of re-torquing the lug
nuts on his late-model Ferrari (348 I seem to recall) before each and every
venture onto the track--just by applying the wrench and tightening them,
without loosening them first.   Oh, he was a Fast Guy all right.

We all rolled our eyes at this clown, and it came as no surprise when
towards the end of the afternoon, one of his wheels went arrowing off into the
bushes in turn 9, broken studs scattered all over the track....