[DeTomaso] Convention ideas

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Fri Aug 20 21:14:25 EDT 2010

Dave

I can appreciate those feelings about being an outsider at Vegas.  What I
saw on my first visit from Texas were people who had known each other for a
long time having a great time.  I would have described everyone as welcoming
when you approached.  However, they had their cliques and their routines
from years of attendance and didn't naturally think to always include others
as to what was going on each day.  Fortunately, I was President of POCA and
as such many folks put forth an extra effort to be inclusive.  That said, I
recognized that year that new attendees in effect missed half of what was
going on at the event.  I appreciate that it feels odd continually worming
your way into strangers conversations to eventually be a comfortable member
of the group.

To address that, the new Fun Rally Committee has put forth great effort to
plan activities for the event ahead of time and create an Itinerary.  The
itinerary educates new attendees on the events agenda/calendar as well as
the rational for various decisions that are made with regard to the Rally's
operation.  Every registrant receives an itinerary prior to the event that
allows them to plan ahead and engage activities of the Fun Rally with the
greatest appeal.  No longer does the information pass by word of mouth or
previous experience.  We also place "first timer" identifying markers on the
person's badge to identify them as a first timer and request attendees to
take special notice.  Efforts are made and generally successful to find a
seat in a vehicle for anyone who wishes to participate in a destination
drive.  New participants are informed where and when to sign up and where to
show up for departure.

It may not be perfect, but the desire to make first timers feel included has
been a personal passion of mine to address.  I wish that you would give us
another chance.  Frankly, I am not sure what more could be done.  I've
attended the East Coast Events as well and I believe our current approach
reflects a best practice. Yet, I welcome all suggestions.

JT
Fun Rally CoChair