[DeTomaso] Convention ideas

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Aug 20 11:30:48 EDT 2010

Somewhat NPC but relevant.

I was a member of the largest local Mustang Club for over 20 years.
In 1991, our club hosted the International Mustang Meet in Spokane.
That's a big deal of a show over two or three days, I forget exactly.
Each club in the International board lobbies for their location by
presenting what they can set up, usually because they've already done
the legwork.  The show rotates between the U.S. and Canada each year.
This happens about two years out.  For example, that same local
Mustang club just made the announcement earlier this year they would
be doing the show in Spokane again, in 2011

The show entails a host hotel where a small number of activities take
place, a car show sometimes on grass, but mostly just in a parking
lot, one or two driving activities, a banquet, trophies for the car
show and then everybody goes home.  It typically takes a year of more
of planning.

It's really just a glorified car show over three days.

The club thought they had some great momentum after they hosted the
International in 1991, so they decided to do their own version the
very next year.  They cut down the number of days and activities and
didn't expect other member International clubs to attend in high
numbers.  It turned out to be just an expensive car show for the same
people that always went to local shows.  The next year, the club
members got burned out from trying to run everything with so little
participation and quit.

After that, the club tried each year to get something started but
could never get any consistency to it.  Finally, 10 years ago, I
chaired a new car show committee and we stuck to the -basics-.  A
single day car "show," nothing more.

We found a suburb with a nice park willing to let us have the show on
the grass.  We invited the Camaro club to do food vending (they vend
for almost all the car shows now).  We stoked a large amount of
classes, posted flyers at other car shows, and advertised in the local
paper.  Although my participation has ceased, that -same- car show is
going strong 10 years later.  In fact Sam and I took the Pantera to it
this year and old members who know me commented on how cool it was
that 10 years later they have the same great show.

Yea, I take a long time to make a point.....

It takes a lot of work to do something "big" and even if you do,
you'll most likely only get the same die-hard crowd that comes to
normal meetings and shows.  It's like Julian is pointing out.  If you
hold it in my town, it won't necessarily bring out anymore locals than
any normal car show.  In fact, hotel attendance might actually be
-down- because the local members will simply stay at home and drive to
the events each day.

What doing it in a place like San Diego gives you, is a "larger"
collection of members who may be able to put something together.  Same
as what the Reno-Tahoe folks were doing.  To go "big" takes a larger
effort.

Part of the appeal should be the trip getting there and back

... otherwise it's just another car show.

Asa Jay

--
Asa Jay Laughton - sent from somewhere other than home