[DeTomaso] more on pushrod guide plates

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 19:53:34 EDT 2010

hard to say.  i had harlan sharp roller rockers, cleveland specific.  some people say to just use big block chevy rockers instead of cleveland specific.  by the time I had the pushrod length set properly to keep the rocker on the center of the valve stem, the rocker was tipped quite a bit over, so my pushrods ended up being about 8.2", which is much shorter than stock, and the same as standard small block chevy!  the roller rocker arm sits at quite an angle, but seems to work OK.  havent broken anything yet, but only have 2 hours on the engine.

with the combination of aftermarket aluminum heads (CHI), aftermarket rockers (harland sharp), and aftermarket roller lifters (i used crane with link bar), the valvetrain geomety is nowhere near stock.  all I can say is that the comp cams guideplates were no good in my application, and at least one engine builder confirmed.  They now decorate my wall, so if someone wants a set real cheap, let me know.  justin

P.S. - if anyone is building this combination, you have to know which length rocker stud to order - i think there are at least 3 possibilities from ARP.  summit is great because they take returns if not used!
I went through a lot of research setting up my engine and I learned a lot about building a cleveland.  maybe I should make a book.