[DeTomaso] tech question for anyone that has upgraded their brake system

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 17 21:27:19 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/15/10 19 37 22, MikeLDrew at aol.com writes:

> The part in question is actually a pressure reduction cylinder,
> which balances the front-to-rear braking balance on the stock system by
> reducing the PSI pressure to the front circuit.   This is done due to the
> mismatch between the front and rear calipers.   With your system,
> presumably the
> front-to-rear   caliper sizes are appropriate for a mid-engined car.

It's worth mentioning that I drove a Pantera in Canada last week whose
previous owner removed this pressure reduction valve.   The result was that the
front brakes locked way prematurely.   For all practical purposes, it meant
that the car had NO rear brakes.   People who don't know any better are
fooled into thinking that they have improved their braking by removing this
valve (or gutting it) because the pedal is more sensitive, and it takes less leg
pressure to achieve a normal stop, with this valve removed.   What they
fail to consider is that the front brakes lock up long before the rear brakes
start doing anything.

In a panic stop, this car would have a much greater stopping distance than
an unmodified car, assuming the driver used the correct technique of
threshold braking (applying the brake to just prior to locking up the wheels,
maintaining directional control).

None of this is relevant for a modified system like Boyd is discussing, but
it's worth repeating for those who are still using stock brakes.   FWIW I
drove another car equipped with functioning stock calipers at all four
corners, Porterfield brakes, and retaining the pressure reduction valve in the
front, and the brakes worked MUCH better.   Yes, it took higher pedal effort to
achieve a stop from a given speed, in town.   But when you really lay on
the brakes, the car actually STOPS instead of just prematurely locking the
front wheels and then slithering into whatever it is you're trying to avoid
hitting!

Also FWIW, I drove Peter Havlik's GT5, equipped with factory GT5 brakes
(same as the Longchamp/Deauville/Gr3 Panteras used).   These are much bigger,
better calipers and big vented rotors, and these brakes were terrific.
While really leaning on them, I noted the rears wanted to lock up before the
fronts, as the car started snaking side-to-side, a decidedly uncomfortable
situation.   Later we tried a highly unscientific test on a dirt road to see
which brakes locked first, and they were somewhat inconclusive, with the rears
locking first sometimes, but not always.   The surface wasn't uniform enough
to give an accurate test.

I advised doing further testing on the road, at speed, and if my experience
was correct, then he really needs to plumb in an adjustable proportioning
valve in the rear circuit, and step the pressure down a bit.

BTW, Peter's Pantera is *awesome*.   It benefits greatly from Pat Mical's
suspension tuning, and coupled with his PIM 427 Windsor motor, it is by FAR
the best-driving widebody Pantera I've ever driven.   If I owned a GT5 or
GT5-S, I'd definitely be making at least some of the modifications Patrick
offers, if not all of them.

Too bad PIM's engine builder failed to do his math correctly, and built the
motor with super-high compression; it detonates badly even with 94 octane
gas and demands constant use of octane additive, which is really BS.   I know
Roland's PI< 427 needed to be torn apart and rebuilt immediately because of
the same goof. :<(