[DeTomaso] Offset Poly Bushings

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Tue Aug 17 19:49:31 EDT 2010

I'll add that the Chamfer exercise may have been in vain.  I recommended
that Rob chamfer the bushings for the zerks prior to reading the
instructions.  It seems that unlike the other poly bushings that I have
installed, and it has been more than I care, these are not supposed to have
the A-arm pivot around their outer surface while the bush remains
stationary.  I believe it was Quella's bushings that even had the hexagonal
sleeve to help stabilize the bushing.  Rather, the Marino/ Pantera East
bushing is to rotate in unison with the A-arm around the center metal sleeve
through which the mounting bolt passes.  I am not optimistic that lubricant
we inject through the zerk will pass between the two bushing halves to reach
the sleeve.  I do have a viscous mix that may penetrate.  The bushings are
interesting in that Marino has had the bushing's inner surface, that rotates
on the metal sleeve, splined to hold more grease in place.

There was another peculiarity with the offset bushings and it may have been
a distorted perception due to the extreme heat that we were working in at
Houston.  It seemed to me that whatever amount was shimmed off one side
would need to be equal to the amount added to the other.  It may have been
delirium or a mirage, but that simply didn't always seem to be the case.  In
hindsight, I probably should have measured them to confirm.  Although, they
are all now in place and at least look good.

JT