[DeTomaso] roller rocker arm alignment, lose the Manley pushrod Guides !!!

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 00:44:12 EDT 2010

I've been struggling trying to get a satisfactory alignment of the roller with the top of the valve stem.  I have Manley pushrod guides and one of the real pains is that a step on the intake valve side is so close the hex on the rocker arm stud that I can't get a deep socket on it, and end up triple nutting it to get the 65 ft-lbs the studs are spec'd for.

So last week I try to twist one of the forked ends of one Manley pushrod guide to line up the rocker better, and I break it.  I can't order one Manley, but can order one Comp Cams guide, so I order the CC guide.  First, I notice that the Comp Cams guide has a slightly different step, and I can get a deep socket on both studs, BIG IMPROVEMENT.  Then I torque the studs and set the rockers on to see how far off they are, and they are dead on.

SO, if anyone gets into the same struggle,  I recommend switching to Comp Cams guides.

Ken