[DeTomaso] alignment specs

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 17 00:24:58 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/16/10 11:44:53 AM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> The shop doing the alignment wants to know what alignment specs to use.
> can anyone help me out
> with a base line to start with?

It'll depend to some extent on the tires you're running and   how you'll
use the car. Better coil-overs w/stiffer springs, poly bushings and 50-profile
tires tighten the fronts up enough that you really don't need much toe-in
(1/16" or so) or camber (0 or maybe 1/2 degree inboard) for decent handing.
Caster should be maxed if you bought symmetrical poly bushings, because the
most you can get is about -2.6 degrees. Offset poly bushings in the upper
front a-arms will give around -4.2. Adding offset bushings also in the lower
a-arms can increase caster to -6 and trimming the upper ball joint carrier
on one side can give -1 more degree. I run -4.6 and others run -5 or above,
for much more high speed stability. Corvettes run up to -7 degrees, but those
wimps also have power steering; more caster = heavier low speed steering so
you sort of try it and see what you prefer. My 5'4" wife likes our
Pantera's camber at -4.2 degrees.
In the back, about all thats adjustable is minimal toe-in of 1/16" or so if
you run poly bushings, a bigger swaybar, 50-or smaller profile tires and
good shocks. This assumes the standard collapse of the rear suspension pickup
points which can produce up to 4 degrees of camber inboard, has been
corrected back to zero somehow. There are several ways. Good luck- J Deryke