[DeTomaso] Mangusta Designer?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 21:11:24 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/16/10 12 44 37, dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> Some of you may have seen the original and may have thoughts on this.
>
>>>The original looks larger in photos.   It's not actually larger at all,
but is significantly flatter in the roofline than the production cars,
making it look wider.

> >The original had hinges on the outside of the rear engine hatch spine and
> soft corners on the upper front grill in the headlight area.
> Front and rear appear wider if you look at the hood cut lines in relation
> to the headlamps.
>
>>>I've never compared the two side-by-side, so it may well be slightly
wider in fact.   But I think it's mostly an illusion.

> > There are also shots of a large black chrome looking gas cap later
> installed on the passenger side over the gas tank interrupting the air intakes
> behind the quarter window.
>
>>>The car was originally a pushmobile, and wasn't converted to a runner
until later in its life.   Therefore, some aspects had to be totally kluged
together I think.

> >The story of the design, starting with Giugiaro, going back to Ghia and
> then being interpreted, resulting in a smaller car would be an interesting
> one.  I think that the car is smaller and I feel that the small size is part
> of it's charm.
>
>>>You certainly have a better eye for such things than any of us--it would
really be great to compare the two side-by-side.

> >The original had a sun roof.  DeTomaso somehow arranged for the original
> Mangusta to make a parade lap at Monte Carlo before the Grande Prix,
> probably in 1967.  The passenger was Princess Grace, the sun roof was put in so
> that people could see her from buildings and grandstands.
>
>>>When people hear 'sunroof' they automatically imagine a roof that
retracts or removes entirely.   The prototype Mangusta didn't have that--instead
it just had a fixed glass roof.   Nice visually, but it certainly would have
turned the inside of the car into a sauna!