[DeTomaso] Delrin control arm bushings

j g notstock at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 18:24:52 EDT 2010

your recommendations are completely valid for the general consumption ,. but just like  the commercial "do not try this at home"  closed course professional driver and full engineering team ,  I own  6 currently and have owned 12 of the vile handeling 911 cars
8>)  of almost every year since the  1968 short wheel base cars  ,  I have actually completely cut out and replaced the entire rear suspension torque tubes from mid year normal cars and replaced them with units out of mid 70's to early 80's turbo cars  with a slight change in the arm attachment points to allow a better camber curve with the aluminium turbo trailing arms and spring plates . This same modification  was showing up on some of the factory race cars in various series in the 80's . So  ... while the general listener may  want to be careful  there are some viewers here that really have 30 plus years doing this stuff and multiple engineering degrees on top of that .  The torque tube modification I speak of allows significant increase in grip in the corner entry and mid corner to allow a significantly earlier application of power  or to allow a larger amount of power to be held through the corner in the 911 chassis primarly as a way to
 help deal with the turbo lag issues but it helps all 911's go fast  when the 911 gets more grip and more power than stock then the porsche spring plates bushing starts to be a real problem the material I  suggested solved the issues .without moving to bearings and coilovers  . Of course it also creates a situation of more abrupt power steer   normal in a rear or mid engined car with rear weight bias , but  a trained  driver  can use it to go faster in the twisties.  Now  delrin alone is an acetal plastic  delrin variants as normally produced have fibers , nylon or other polymer additives . The materials I have quoted you are all acetal based plastics , the rulon has teflon aditives just like the turcite does but at the high end such as the turcite b and rulon 142 there are additives that are metalic , ceramic or combinations of these. So  while delrin alone is a problem under specific conditions the modified materials under the rulon and
 turcite branding and formulation have proven to be superior in bearing and bushing applications in  virtually every test that the industry has chosen to perform . So the material  I quoted is based on engineering expertise, machinist training , and  actually driving competatively since 1974  and actually using the material not just bench or mind racing .

jg