[DeTomaso] Delrin control arm bushings

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 11 16:14:25 EDT 2010

Most plastics including polyurethane can be made softer or harder during
their formulation (rated by durometer reading). Softer bushings in a
suspension normally means less precision in handling and less road noise & more
difficult bushing machining, while harder materials means the opposite in all
respects. Street cars with compliant suspensions and compliant tires use rubber
bushings everywhere (which incidently harden with age and weathering),
while racers use solid aluminum bushings everywhere, very stiff shocks & low
profile tires w/stiff sidewalls.
I've found to my surprise and contrary to what I'd expected, metal rod-end
bushings in stiffer Koni gas shocks, 50-profile tires and fairly hard
polyurethane bushings (Pantera East) in the a-arms & swaybars did not increase
bumpy public-road noise in the cabin of our Pantera. Or at least made it no
worse than it was when we bought it with 70-profile Michelin XWXs and
all-rubber suspension bushings. So don't avoid harder bushings for supposed comfort
increases; you likely won't perceive a difference that way, and the increased
handling precision may keep you out of trouble some day. FWIW- J DeRyke