[DeTomaso] (no subject)

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 11 03:26:57 EDT 2010

> want to add a 5/16" return fuel line through my 70 MACH1's fuel sender.
> My plan is to drill a hole in the sender, insert standard 5/16" brake line
> tubing through the hole and take it to a welder.

Doug, that's exactly what I did to the fuel senders I modified for larger
dia tubing (more fuel flow needed for high horse engines), except I brazed
the tube to the fuel sender cap. Before you do it, you'll have to remove the
tank gasket, drill out any rivited   electrical connections and remove
plastic spade-lugs and the tiny o-rings that seal them off. All this stuff will
melt or burn during the weld/braze. Once the weld/braze is done, you can use
non-rusting ss screws and nylock nuts to reassemble the sender's top
connections in place of the rivits.
If that sounds like a lot of work, its possible to drill a hole & clamp the
extra line to something on the sender inside the tank (Not familiar with
Mustang senders), and seal it off with a bead of BONDO inside & out! Bondo or
J-B Weld, once cured is totally fuel-proof but isn't very structural so you
need to rigidly clamp the line, or it will flex & the Bondo will crack while
you're twisting a hose on. I know it sounds red-neck but I did this to our
Pantera sender maybe 10 years ago for an extra fuel-out line, and no leaks
or even seeps yet.
Remember: most car fires in performance machines come from mucking around
with fuel lines, fittings & hoses! Good luck and be careful- J Deryke