[DeTomaso] c & m blocks

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 22:10:56 EDT 2010

On Tue 10/08/10 6:05 PM , "Steve Hawkins" shawkins777 at comcast.net sent:

> This not accurate information. Almost everything on a 351C will swap over
> to a 400 except the crank, rods, push rods and motor mounts

What I said: you will replace everything in & on the (400) engine.

I didn't say nothing off a real Cleveland would fit; I said   nothing off
the 400 is useful to a performance build-up, except maybe the cast crank in
some cases.

And it sound like you've done exactly that in your build-up, Steve. Not
sure whether the stock Pantera alternator/AC bracket will bolt straight onto
the taller 400 block or if it also needs an adaption. You can advise us once
you get the engine set in place.
FWIW, a 460 stroked to 510-550 cubic inches and mildly tuned with with
aluminum SVO heads, alum. intake w/Holley 850 and alum. waterpump puts out maybe
650 bhp on 91 octane & weighs 600 lbs: 50 lbs more than a stock 351-C's 550
lbs, according to the Byars Bros who swapped a dozen or so of these. My
chart from Ford's website shows stock 351M and 400M engine ass'ys weighing 575
lbs; believable given the 1" taller cylinder decks. Cheers- J DeRyke