[DeTomaso] 74 front bumper options

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 16:46:37 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/9/10 4:03:39 PM, threemacs at aol.com writes:

> I have a good bit of rust up under the front bumper.  While I want to
> keep the original look, I would like to know what options I have for front
> bumpers on the 74 Pantera

If what you're talking about is rust INSIDE the bumper, its repairable with
difficulty: under a thin coating of rubber on the backside is a thick steel
reinforcement strip. The backside rubber cracks, water gets in, rusts and
swells the rubber making it lumpy. Over the years there have been a few ar
ticles (can't remember by whom now) but they basically cut the rubber open,
clean the steel reinforcing bar of rust and reseal the cut-open rubber with a
rubber-specific cement, then paint the whole thing. Look on <
www.PanteraPlace.com>
Aternatively, all the vendors sell a fiberglas reproduction that's
identical to the OEM except its about 15 lbs lighter but does not use the DOT
tubular 2-mph shear-mounts, only the small end bolts under the fender. Your stock
DeTomaso logo piece transfers to the flat-black fiberglas. Obviously you
will no longer have a useable bumper for push-starting other cars(!)   Note
that a couple of vendors also sell a REAR L bumper of fiberglas for more weight
savings, or to fix crash damage. Finally, the chrome or satin-black pre-L
bumpers fit all the cars but require bodywork to fill unused holes on an L
Cheers- J Deryke.