[DeTomaso] Fuel Line welding/brazing

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 16:14:51 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/9/10 1:29:11 PM, doug351c at gmail.com writes:

> When I go to my local auto parts store, the only 5/16" line they have is
> the same stuff as standard brake lines, just larger.  Can you suggest a
> source for non zinc plated (weldable) fuel line?

I recently got a couple of lengths of 3/8" fuel line at NAPA that behaved
OK and had no visible braze-seam. Look for a double flair: this is vitally
necessary for Bundyweld, as a single flair will always crack the braze seam
during use. Weirdly, Bundyweld used to be the only brake line certified by the
DOT.
IMHO the zinc-plated stuff is OK to weld or braze- you just have to hold
your breath while doing it, stopping and turning your head to take a breath.
There are filter-masks available too. And when the tin/zinc plating burns off
(with visible white smoke), it leaves a sparking-clean surface that brazes
beautifully almost without needing flux. Structurally, I recommend brazing
since the join will be stronger than the thin steel tube anyway.
Zinc or tin oxide is poisonous enough when inhaled that the human body
violently reacts to getting it in your lungs & blood supply, but unlike lead
which is a cumulative poison, after a few hours the zinc is expelled from every
orifice, to put it bluntly. Think of the worst beer-party hangover you ever
had when you were young & stupid, at least for me; YMMV- J DeRyke.