[DeTomaso] Rocky Mountain tour coming to an end

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 03:59:44 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/9/10 8:56:59 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Be sure to check out the photos and text.

What they fail to convey is just how awesome these roads were!   We were
here for a week and saw not ONE cop on the road.  None.   Nada.   ZERO!!!!
The speed limits were laughably low, but so what?   We and everybody else
ignored them, generally traveling at MPH for KPH, i.e. 90 mph in a 90 kph zone.
  Hours and hours of high-speed cruising on two-lane roads, and some (Peter
Havlik most prominently) would occasionally zoom up to 130-140 mph plus!
(This was on roads with NO other traffic around).

Doug McIntyre shot fantastic video (no sound unfortunately) with a GoPro
camera, and lots and lots of people took lots and lots of photos.   Tonight we
visited the private collection of a super-friendly and very reclusive
owner, who had, nestled in among his Lambos and musclecars and Ferraris and
Cobras and whatnot, a four-headlight Mangusta, the Mangusta Spyder prototype (!),
and he also owns two very special De Tomaso sports racers from the 1960s.

But the best part of the tour was the people--getting to meet, or getting
to know better, some really fantastic people from both eastern and western
Canada.   Amazingly, the Washington state owners stayed away in droves, a
critical error of judgement as it turns out!

I do hope that they are able to conjure up another tour in the next couple
of years--for sure I'll be back! :>)