[DeTomaso] Axle nut chamfer question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 02:32:37 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/8/10 6:18:26 PM, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> I know the question has cropped up before, but is the axle nut chamfer
> supposed to be face down or face out. I had always assumed chamfer out i.e.
> flat face to the axle, but it turns out I have one of each on axles
> assembled by the same vendor?

Julian, there are four different axle nuts available, that I know of. They
all have a small chamfer or 'starting-taper' on their bottom. Two of the
possible nuts cannot be installed upside-down, so I assumed that to mean the
chamfer is properly put at the bottom. For the symmetrical nuts, it probably
doesn't matter relative to holding power but the nut might be easier to start
with the chamfer below. My 2¢- J DeRyke