[DeTomaso] Axle nut chamfer question

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 21:17:59 EDT 2010

Today I went through the usual checks on the GT5 in preparaton for the trip to Monterey; firstly I find a screw in a rear tire, so need to get that repaired (or new tires) then to top that I find have a bad rear axle yet again (less than 2 thousand miles on the previous vendor rebuild). These are the later stepped axle design that seem to be like gold dust or ounce for ounce at least as valuable......

I know the question has cropped up before, but is the axle nut chamfer supposed to be face down or face out. I had always assumed chamfer out i.e. flat face to the axle, but it turns out I have one of each on axles assembled by the same vendor?

Thanks
Julian