[DeTomaso] Muffler Opinions

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Aug 7 10:00:36 EDT 2010

Mike and others

The construction of the resonator tip is different than I thought.  I assumed that the ceramic(?) material in the tip's end continued through the resonator.  You are correct that it only positions the metal pipe inside the resonator tip to the center.  The perforated metal pipe is exposed the rest of the length.

However, now the perforated pipe extraction task is potentially easier.  A hole saw could be used to drill out the ceramic material that holds the perforated pipe in place at the resonator's opening.  That done, could the perforated pipe within the resonator then be extracted?

I gutted many of these mufflers and therefore cut those perforated pipes where they extend into the muffler; however, The perforated pipes were welded to baffles within the muffler. The gutting process removes those baffles with the portion of perforated pipe that extended in the muffler body.  However, I do not recall what is left holding the perforated pipe in place on the muffler end of the resonator.  This certainly seems to be an easy method to pick up the additional diameter to go from 1.5" to 1.75" that is required with a 2.5" exhaust pipe.  Area of 2.5" pipe is ~ 4.9". Area of two 1.5" pipes (stock size) is 3.52"; 1.75" pipes is 4.8".

So, if I use a hole saw to drill out the perforated pipe in the resonator on the outlet side, will the perforated pipe then pull out of the resonator?  Anyone have a set of GTS mufflers that are cut open for inspection?

This seems to easy - although, I wish I understood the dilemma when I had the mufflers cut open; then I certainly could have removed the complete perforated pipe.

JT