[DeTomaso] New engine

Haas, John john at haasline.com
Fri Aug 6 17:04:45 EDT 2010

Jack mentioned running into this conversion last month in the POCA
newsletter. I'm fascinated by the thought as the Z06 package is light,
small, powerful and sorted.
Here are some notes I've gathered since from different sources
:
Scott Bell Z06 Pantera
I guess the hardest part was turning the intake around. There was an oil
sender boss that needed to be milled off and plugged so the intake could be
reversed.

The other item was making a new cross member.

But to be honest, it was a pretty easy swap.
The motor is an LS376/480 crate motor. 6.2 Liter All Aluminum V8. It is
based on the LS3 Corvette motor but has a hot cam installed. It has 10.7:1
compression and has 480HP at 5750RPM. It has 475(lb-ft) of torque at
4500RPM.

What is cool about this motor is the amount of torque it has. It pulls
strong in every gear. It has 400(lb-ft) of torque at 2500RPM.

I can be rolling at 10MPH and give it half throttle and it breaks the tires
loose.

It is so much more fun to drive then it was before.

I can run an almost flat firewall and access to every part of the motor is
much better.

Part of the benefits of this package is the front drive that included a
150AMP Alternator that is controlled by the computer.
Put almost 200 miles on the car this weekend. Not a single problem.

The car runs so cool the computer doesn't even turn on the radiator fans for
almost the entire drive.

The torque of this motor is incredible. And it runs like a factory 2010 car.

I also added a nice stereo system with a 160watt amp and an Ipod interface.
Next I will be building a flat firewall.

The crate motor was about $6500. The drive, Electronics, Bellhousing, Fuel
Pump, Flywheel, Clutch, Starter, etc... was about $3000.00.

For me it worked out good as I had about a $2000.00 bill to repair the 351C.
I ended up selling most of the good parts I didn't need from the old setup
for almost $3000.00 so my net out-of-pocket cost for the swap was less than
$5000.00.
quote:
You know how much weight you saved over the rear wheels too?

The crate motor was advertised at 410lbs. I am not sure how much the 351C is
but it must be in excess of 700lbs if you include headers to Air cleaner.

.	Yes, I used the Kennedy Adapter. It was $350.00.
.	catman351
2 months ago
@Z06Pantera
BTW, great choice again! It looks like you used a Kennedy Enterprises
transaxle adaptor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgU_S5Wr7yw

Pictures:
http://s1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/Z06_Pantera/Z06%20Pantera/?action=
view&current=DSCN1199.jpg

Page 66-67 in GM catalog
Here is a list short list of what was needed:

LS376/480 Crate Motor
Engine Management System with Engine Harness (comes with drive by wire
pedal)
Engine Drive System (Comes with 150amp ECM controlled Alternator and AC
Pump)
LS to ZF Bellhousing
Fuel Injection Fuel Pump
Flywheel
Clutch
Starter

Stuff to Fabricate are:
Exhaust
Motor Mounts
Removable Cross Member

Of course, there is a small list of other small items that also needs to be
done.
quote:
May I ask how much $ that went in this engine swap?