[DeTomaso] Hold the mayo on #3

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Wed Aug 4 02:00:38 EDT 2010

Took it down today.

#3 was definitely it -glaze on the plug & muck on the piston.
So, the head gasket is changed and it's back together,
 now I just need to pull the seats to get at the engine cover so I can
set the valves.
( I can't stand bumping it around)
Then get some coolant & oil into it. Maybe running tomorrow aft.

That was the good news.
The bad news is there was no probable cause;
 - all the head bolts were as spec'd, 105 ft-lb on the exhaust side and
115 on the intake side
 - there was no damage to the gasket (FELPRO race gasket).
 - there was the overheat but I don't see it doing that.

So the pessimistic view is warped head or cracked bore.
There was nothing to see on the head with a straight-edge and nothing to
see in the hole,
 but those are both too crude to know anything anyway.

I'll put an hour on it and start checking the oil repetitively.
If it goes again I'll take the head in for a flat and a magnaflux.
I kinda hope it's the block if it has to be something - I have $$ in the
heads now.

The only low torque values were the exhaust-manifold bolts on the right
bank,
 but I can't gat a torque wrench in there for a damn.
I did them by hand this time - one advantage of iron heads.

dave