[DeTomaso] I've got to get going on my restoration

Cullen McCann clarkwgriswold2nd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:16:13 EDT 2010

A few of weeks ago, there was a discussion titled ..." this is it-the best
Pantera video on YouTube."   Michael Erlich (a Swiss guy) racing a '73
Pantera (THPNNA05940) at Spa-Francorchamps..........

I downloaded a program that lets me capture videos off youtube. I keep them
along with pictures and other data for my personal tech library on the
different ways that different cars are put together...so I can analyze the
very issues being discussed on my own and beat them to death in my spare
time...(so I'm an information junkie....i can accept it..) you never know, I
might even have pics of all of your cars...hehe...

But that car had a wide-body type rear qtr solution that I haven’t seen
anywhere else. Side panels were created that have these very tall vertically
oriented gills in front of the rear wheel openings, and then louvers on the
rear fascia adjacent to the tail lights. I'm sure you noticed. If not, shoot
me an email because I have images captured from the screen.

Seems pretty clear to me that Erlich is venting either his engine bay or I
assumed more likely his rear brakes since I cant see any openings in the
inner wheel houses...it appears all of the venting is outside of the motor
bay but within the qtr panels to me, purely from studying the video and the
introduction where the car is static. But this conversation I thought was
maybe relevant when it comes to airflow dynamics and approaches thereof. He
also uses a chin spoiler that I am very fond of. Functionally and
aesthetically I prefer on the car a subtle low profile chin spoiler. Granted
like previously stated, this is a dedicated race car and I agree that makes
a difference. I also don’t think I would widen my car 4 to 6 inches at the
qtr on the rear for aesthetics, but on his car, I think it looks pretty
cool, and clearly he believes its serving a functional purpose to his
cooling....in some matter.

Cullen

"..........Could air be carried through the rocker panels?