[DeTomaso] Engines running without major parts

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 14:40:29 EDT 2010

To diagnose a noise in a flat-six Corvair engine, I once removed the
cooling fan, shroud and upper valley cover, exposing the cam, lifters, pushrods
and crank, then started it up. It was fascinating to watch all the part's
motion while the engine was at idle. Things moved in ways I hadn't considered,
and the lifters & pushrods rotated at maybe 50 rpm while going up & down. Oil
spray was only moderate and you could see oil bleeding out of the sides of
each con-rod and the center crank mains. I wish now I'd had a movie camera
back then.... J DeRyke