[DeTomaso] I've got to get going on my restoration

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 00:21:24 EDT 2010

Remember that there has been quite a number of strings regarding the merits
of side scoops and whether they really do any good unless they stick out far
enough to extend beyond the boundary layer created by the car.  If I recall
the figure was 6" to 8" out from the side of the car to actually "scoop"
some air.  'Like Michael said, it's your car, but I sure wouldn't want mine
looking like Dumbo on wheels . . .

Something else I would think about too: if your car is an early '71, I
assume it has all the bright work on it (bumpers, mirrors, window trim,
etc.).  I recently saw an ad on EBay for an early '71 with steel group IV
flares, center exhaust from 180's, etc, and somehow all that just didn't
look right on a chrome bumpered car, having seen most Grp IV clones with
bumpers off or all trim blacked out.

K, that's my .02.

Mike Thomas