[DeTomaso] Techno question: maintenance of sway bar SphereBalls orSphereBars (?)

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Aug 1 23:02:08 EDT 2010

Chuck, a couple of thoughts and my practices.

I leave the sphereball bushings dry.  Wet lubricants will attract sand and
dirt which will act as an abrasive on the plastic balls in short order.
Perhaps a dry lube would be a good compromise.

Your sway bar should be attached after your rideheight / corner weighting is
complete.  Often, when the bar is attached to one end (the higher), the bar
mount on the other side will not be slightly above its mounting perch.  If
one were to force the bar flush by tightening the bolts, you would be
changing the cornerweighting; Effectively lightening that side and shifting
more weight to the other.

To eliminate this effect, you should shim the mount so as the bar is
attached to both ends without any preload or twist.

Most owners do not do this; however, it is the proper procedure.

Enjoy the ride

JT