[DeTomaso] Booster fixed

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 22:51:17 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I finally got the master and booster from Precision Proformance in and
took it for a ginger test drive.  It was very odd.  I hadn't started
the Pantera in a while and there was suddenly lots of smoke coming out
the tail pipe!  It settled down and I had to up the idle a bit.  No
leaks that I could detect around the joints... so I went down the road
a little and the darned thing felt like there was no booster action at
all!

After pulling back in, I popped the valve out of the booster to see if
there was any vacuum at the valve.  Not even a squeaky hiss.  I pulled
the hose up a bit and sure enough, I'd kinked it up really bad and it
was leaking too.  40 years of abuse and my fiddling with it to find a
new position for the booster check valve has done it in.

I imagine that since I have half inch bungs on both ends now, I can
order up some 1/2" vacuum line and do what I should have done first:
replace that foul brittle brake fluid filled line.  But I'm pretty
darned happy with the new booster/master combination.  A duct tape
enabled test confirms that was the right choice.

sean

--
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso