[DeTomaso] muffler options

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 1 20:35:05 EDT 2010

Here is what I did for my 74 GTS.  I am cheap, but I really like the look of the monza dual chrome exhaust tips with the yellow insides and resonators.  summit and everyone else sells them.  really looks perfect 60's or 70's italian.  I bought a set of used 4-into-1 headers (I think they are the common ones from the vendors that end in a 2.5" collector).  I bought the 2.5" intermediate pipes for big bucks from PI.  they sell a pipe that is bent in a not-fancy way - not mandrel bent - and they do not fit perfectly, but they are a good start.  I then got really cheap flowmasters - they make a super small muffler that is a minimal muffler, but it has a real small case.  i then used my vice to flatten the intermediate pipe to clear the driveshafts where needed.  i had to rotate the flowmaster a bit on each side to clear the frame.  then I cut and welded the monza tips to the mufflers, so it all fits really nice and looks super cool.  I bought $2 muffler hangers from autozone and cut and welded them to fit up to the stock hanging location.  I could send some pics if anyone is interested.  it is super loud, but I can't say I mind.  A fun project for the do-it-yourselfer.  basic Mig welding skills only.  nothing structural.  best compromise in my opinion.  the factory GTS replacement is too expensive.  anything bigger than 2.5" just is too hard to fit in the stock location in my opinion.  justin