[DeTomaso] Muffler Options

JJD1010 at aol.com JJD1010 at aol.com
Sun Aug 1 18:49:23 EDT 2010

When I gutted my GTS Mufflers, I had to cut off the tips to get them  to
point out straight so they would fit under my L Bumper. When I cut  them, the
baffles slipped right out. That still leaves the two pipes with all  the
holes in them that are inside the muffler and come out the back that  the tips
go over. I'm guessing that removing these pipes and enlarging the holes
slightly would get back a lot more of the HP from a regular gutted GTS Muffler.
 You'd then have to weld on the tips but overall it would not be all that
more  difficult.

I attached a picture that only Mike will get.

Jeff
6559

In a message dated 8/1/2010 2:00:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
mikeldrew at aol.com writes:

>>>With this in mind, the factory ANSA mufflers  including the GTS
mufflers are a bit of a disaster, due to the small  inside diameter of
the resonator tips.  The muffler itself might flow  fine, but the
resonators act like big corks.  My car is plenty  powerful enough at the
moment, but if I ever found myself wanting more,  I'd probably go
shopping for aftermarket tips to weld onto the back of my  ANSA mufflers
in place of the factory tips.  A same-size outside  diameter with a much
larger inside diameter would be just the ticket for  greatly improved
flow.