[DeTomaso] Muffler Opinions

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sun Aug 1 14:41:27 EDT 2010

Keep in mind that the resistance of airflow through a tube is inversely related to the diameter of the tube raised to the fourth power.

So decreasing the diameter to half as big does not double the resistance but rather makes it 16 TIMES greater.
I believe this is true no matter how long the tube is, the length having a much lesser effect.

So my point is that the SMALLEST point in the whole system will determine the resistance.
There is no point in having 3" tubing if the muffler narrows to 1.5" somewhere inside-- the resistance will be determined by that narrowest point.  If I were shopping for mufflers I would keep that in mind.

I hadn't thought about it until now, but this also means that two 1" pipes do NOT have the same resistance as a single 2" pipe. Splitting a single 2" pipe into two 1" pipes would logically result in increasing the resistance by a factor of 8.  (Half the change of decreasing to a single 1" pipe.)

I'll let some else do the calculations for what the change is for 2.5 to 3"     (2.5 to the fourth power compared to 81)

Jim Oddie