[DeTomaso] Muffler Options

Tom Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Sun Aug 1 13:37:34 EDT 2010

Brent,
After reading the comments from Dan Jones about mufflers giving up 50hp due to flow restrictions I started looking at 2.5" & 3.0" inlet
mufflers from MagnaFlow. They make 2.5" and 3" inlet with dual 2.5" outlets with bodies that should to fit where the mufflers go on Pantera. The body
of the muffler is 8-9" wide, oval about 5 " thick and 14" long. They should flow plenty for your stroked motor, especially if you go with the 3" inlet.
Below is a link to one of 3" inlet version as an example. I saw a MagnaFlow that was slightly different but can't find the link...I'll look a bit more and
send it to you if I find it. I've see these mufflers in stainless for under $50-60 per muffler...once you add the tips and some labor you for snaking the
tubes from the headers back to the mufflers, you should still be at a pretty reasonable cost if you went with the 3"...check the vendor that is making
 the new trunk liner(Curt?), I read he has the 3" tubing pre-made...I recall his first name is Curt?

MagnaFlow muffler with 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets
http://www.fasterthanthem.com/product.php?productid=108

I know it is tricky getting a 3" tube to route through the suspension/half shaft space. But that would seem to give you the best flow possible. Then to get the Pantera look
 just have a set of angled chrome tips welded on. I found some nice large diameter tips on ebay from a manufacturer that should look very nice, they were
about $40 for a set of four and are very good quality.

Best Regards,

Tom