[DeTomaso] oil leak questions

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Fri Apr 30 10:32:45 EDT 2010

Dear Chris,

While you might be able to seal it up with externally applied RTV, I think the chances are low. Dropping the pan and applying a gob of RTV goop might work but you're applying it to two surfaces already oil covered and there is a small risk of some of the goop getting loose and then into the oil pump and thence....possibly onward. I suspect that you'll likely come to a persistent and frustrating leak and your three options would be live with it, pull the engine and fix things completely or raise the car, drop the pan and change the rear main seal and oil pan gasket and inspect from below. I think you may well end up with option number three, IMHO.

Sympathetically yours, Chuck Engles