[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 69, Issue 29-OIL COOLERS

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 29 12:54:12 EDT 2010

Had to chime in again... speed is not
really a item... Ken I run 120-130 in third
gear so the BIG DIFFERENCE IS RPM
Keep the car running at 5000-5500 rpm
and you don't need a stinkin oil cooler

I asked around and most of the guys are afraid
to run the motor over 5000 or 5500 rpm even
though it can turn 7500+... I set my pill at 6800
to keep me from spinning it to 8000 rpm plus
Keeps the pieces inside the block where they
belong... had to change the Mustang pill after
a week because I kept boucing it off the 6000
rev limiter.. kinda know where 6800 is now but
I do bounce it sometimes

Get out of Girly Man area and run the damn
thing at 6800rpm plus and then you need the cooler
If you just want to stroll along at 120-130 then
your hipo motor is going to load up

MY old 69  Z28 motor stock from Chevy land
would turn 7800rpm... 65mph in 1st, 85 in 2nd
and 110 in third gear... no torque but boy
it could spin up

My two cents

Bob Benson #3 Black Pantera