[DeTomaso] Ford (Laminova) oil cooler project

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Wed Apr 28 16:35:20 EDT 2010

Ken,

The heater tubes inside the center tunnel run along the passenger side and
pass the shifter tower snugly against that side of the tunnel further
forward. If you plan on putting your cooler in the return line on the
drivers side there's most likely no need to move the heater tubes. The
heater tubes are also welded in place inside the tunnel in case you didn't
know... :-/ On the other hand you may want to add an oil cooler thermostat
as the return water temperature is not well defined under all driving
conditions. Driving in cold weather may over-cool the oil. If you do the
test I suggested with a tracing of the cooler outer limits you'll find that
it's surprisingly bulky if you want to avoid:

A The oil cooler and/or its oil lines becoming the lowest part of the car.
B Not hitting the coolant tube running next to it.
C Cutting out the floor pan around the cooler.

The space above the coolant tubes is not enclosed. There are numerous large
holes in the tunnel roof for the shifter and whatnot. The tunnel is
completely sealed downwards, not at all upwards.

Tomas