[DeTomaso] GTS vs Grp3

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 14:33:14 EDT 2010

***A minor, minor correction to the minor correction - there is at least one
(and as far as we know, ONLY one) GT5 produced in 1989 - Peter Havlik's GT5,
#9517. So the GT5 was produced up to 1989.

There are several GT5-S cars produced in 1990, including Colin Bradshaw's.
So the GT5-S was produced up until 1990.

> Euro street versions (4 ea)
> 1)- '71-87 GTS
> 2)- '80-87 GT5
> 3)- '85- 87 GT5-S
> 4)- '91-'92 Pantera SI

A few minor corrections/additions to this part of the list.   It's
actually:

'71 Euro pushbuttons (which were, in both subtle and dramatic ways,
different from the US-model pushbuttons, including featuring critical
structural
flaws which prevented them from passing US crash tests)
'71-'72 Pre-L
'72-76 Euro GTS (which was a measurably different car from the standard
models)
'73-76 Euro Pantera L (basically the same as the US L-model, but with
two-piece chrome front bumpers and either two-piece chrome or one-piece
chrome
rear bumper)

All the above were built on Ford-era stamped chassis.   All subsequent cars
were built on the later, hand-built chassis:

'77-88 Euro GTS
'77-88 Euro Pantera L
'80-'88 GT5
'80-'88 GT/4 (road car, effectively a GT5, except externally equipped with
Gr4 flares etc. instead of GT5 flares)
'85-'89 GT5-S

I don't know for a fact that there were no Euro GTS, Pantera L, GT5 or GT/4
produced in 1989, but I only know for a fact about GT5-S cars produced in
that year.

The final iteration used a completely new hand-built chassis design:

'91-'92 Pantera Si