[DeTomaso] Windshield Install

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 27 20:42:43 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/27/10 15 00 48, JJD1010 at aol.com writes:

> I just learned that the tech info manual does specify using a sealant
> but
> I'd be curious to know what you have to do to seal it. I just can't
> imagine
> how you could do it when installing the window if you're using anything
> lube the gasket when you're putting it in. If it's the flap, you could
> seal
> it after the window is in using the painters rope trick.

I had a windshield professionally installed in my Scirocco a few years ago;
that car uses the same type of system as the Pantera (chrome trim captured
by rubber seal, which surrounds the glass, and all three are installed
together).

Once the glass/gasket/trim assembly is in place, the outer edge of the
rubber is lifted up, the windshield sealer nozzle is stuck inside, and then a
fairly profound amount of sealer is pumped in, all the way around.

One of my other Sciroccos developed a pretty good Pantera-style windshield
leak.   I bought a small tube of Permatex windshield sealer at the auto
parts store; it works on the same principle.   It was very easy to lift the
outer flap of the gasket and insert the nozzle, then squeeze the goop in while
pulling the nozzle all the way around the gasket.   For good measure, I also
lifted the gasket where it met the windshield glass (on the outside of the
car) and gooped all the way around in there too.

Worked perfectly.   The car is now completely water-tight.

It doesn't actually *run* anymore mind you, probably due to chronic water
damage to the fusebox and wiring--but at least it's dry while it's
stationary. :>)